Search

Custom Search

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Amazon adds barcode scanning to iPhone app, hooks me deeper




I realized the other day that I rarely buy any "durable goods" online from anywhere except Amazon.  Especially when they hook you with Amazon Prime, why would you? (The exception is Zappos for shoes, but guess who owns them now too.)  Occasionally there are some specialty items I need to order online that Amazon  doesn't carry, but really the only other competitor for me are some brick and mortar stores.

A lot of it comes with the trust I have in Amazon to resolve any problems. In the past, I've been burnt by ordering a camera or something from one of the other online electronics retailers, only to find when the package arrives that's it's really an open box item, or even worse, reconditioned.  Then returning it is usually a huge PITA.   With Amazon Prime, I pretty much know I'll order something and it will be what I ordered, in good condition, and on my doorstep in a couple of days.

In addition, there have been multiple times I've been standing in a store, and looked the item up on my phone to price compare against Amazon.   If it's an item I'm not sure I want, it's easy enough to add to a wish list and but it later.

That's why features like this are great - more than just another feature that any mobile purchasing app should have.   They just made it a lot easier for me to find what I want and buy from them.  Good move.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails