Search

Custom Search

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

HUDs for text and tweets

Yesterday, BMW announced that 3 Series cars are going to get full-color Heads Up Display (HUD) capabilities.  I was first introduced to HUDs through military fighter F16 video games and often wondered why they weren't in more cars.  I've seen them in a few cars to display the speedometer, but I can't recall which models.


With texting while driving quickly becoming illegal everywhere, I think the killer app for HUD would be displaying texts from your phone via Bluetooth, and just being able to press a button to speak a response.  This would allow the driver to perhaps keep his or her eyes on the road and not be distracted by the incoming notifications.

I could also see functionality to pipe selected tweets, DMs, or email subject lines as well, though responding to such things would probably be more challenging.

The reality is, I see a lot of people texting while driving, sometimes at stoplights, but mostly going 65 miles per hour on the expressway, and that's kind of scary.  But I have to admit, there are certainly many times I am waiting for a message and when my phone goes off, I pick it up and have a look.   If I have to respond, I will pull over somewhere and respond.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this but look for this feature to be built into applications in the next couple of years if HUDs roll out to more vehicles.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails