Search

Custom Search

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Most Beautiful Steel Bridge

I noticed today whilst walking to work, which honestly I haven't done in a long time - I usually either take a cab or ride my Xootr Roma to work - that the bridge I go across won an award for the "Most Beautiful Steel Bridge" in 1963 - 1964.  This made me pause, look again, and then fumble through my three layers of zero degree Chicago winter clothes to dig out my iPhone and take a picture.






This made me pause, not because I was proud of the award, but because this must be one of the fugliest  bridges I have seen in some time.  Some of you will recognize this as the bridge that connects Wacker Drive to Marina Towers (what Wilco fans refer to as the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot towers) but hopefully you will agree that in any epoch, even the architecturally challenged 60's this is a fucking ugly bridge, and that's before the hobos camp themselves on it right before lunch and start begging for change or that last dollar they need to take the El to Oak Park.
Aside:  Who can name the 70's or 80's movie in which they drove a car off these towers?





I guess Santiago Calatrava was too young at the time.   See some of his bridges.

1 comment:

Mohammad Arfeen said...

Was it Blues Brothers? and I agree with you in that, they might have given the award to quite possibly the ugliest bridge on earth.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails